ABC drama, ABC primetime drama, ABC's Revenge, drama series, dramas, dramatic writing, Emily Van Camp, Emily VanCamp, entertainment, Entertainment industry, Hollywood, Mike Kelley, Revenge, scripted series, TV series, TV shows
ABC’s primetime drama series, REVENGE, will end its run May 10th when the fourth season finale equates to the series finale. Revengers around the world will miss this beloved show, and I proudly include myself among them.
For four years, REVENGE was the one show that I could NOT miss watching each week. I looked forward to finding out what would happen next and anticipated episodes full of twists and turns. My fellow REVENGE fans will no doubt find ways to say “Thank You” to the cast and crew through photo collages, video montages, memes, sketches, playlists and more – I decided to use my love of the written word to convey my thanks for an amazing four years of must-watch television!
TO THE CREW:
- Mike Kelley, you created a TV show that became beloved by fans worldwide. You gave us characters that we rooted for and against, sometimes simultaneously. Thank you for bringing something new to the canvas filled with shows about doctors, lawyers, and cops.
- Sunil Nayar, thank you for guiding us through the past two seasons, and for starting season 3 with a bang!
- Maybe it’s due to my long-standing belief that music plays an important role in art, but Fil Eisler’s original music caught my attention time and again. His exquisite work during pivotal moments (i.e. Daniel’s death and Victoria’s final act) accentuated the emotion in the scene and the aftereffect each would have on not only the other characters, but the show overall.
- Jill O’Hanneson (style guru and costume maven) – you are a genius in your craft. You didn’t just dress the actors; you outfitted the world in which they lived. I frequently caught myself saying, “I love that dress!” and “Where do they come up with Nolan’s outfits; that’s fantastic.” From Emily’s gorgeous wedding dress to Victoria’s fiery red gown, the pieces are embedded in our memory.
- To all the directors, DP’s, producers, production assistants, hair, makeup, story editors, script supervisors – your work behind the scenes did not go unnoticed. The show could not have been made without you!!!!
TO THE WRITING TEAM:
I’ll admit it – I’d likely have a fangirl moment if I ever had the opportunity to chat with any of the REVENGE writers. I hold them in very high regard. Here’s why: the hard work, dedication, time, energy, creativity, and attention to detail that it must take to write 39-48 minutes of dramatic television each week deserves my respect and appreciation. This writing team consistently left me guessing what would happen next and anticipating the next chapter in the story. They gave us memorable one-liners and plot twists, and created characters that won’t soon be forgotten. I wish you all the best in whatever the future holds. *UPDATE MAY 2016: In the past year, writers from REVENGE moved on to new and established dramas such as LIMITLESS, SUPERGIRL, CASTLE, and HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER. Brava!!*
TO THE ACTING ENSEMBLE:
Dear Emily, Gabriel, Nick, Josh, Madeleine, Henry, Christa, Barry, Karine, Elena, Ashley, Conner, James, Margarita, and the rest of the REVENGE cast – What can I “say” about this tremendous acting ensemble that you’ve not already heard? The greatest compliment I can bestow upon such a talented group of actors is this: you brought to life characters that will live on long after the finale. While you excelled in your craft on an individual level, your talent shined through your on-screen interaction. We loved watching the brother/sister relationship develop between Emily and Nolan throughout the seasons – their goodbye in Season 3 still moves me. Regardless of what romantic pairing the fans “shipped”, each of the men in Emily’s life had issues, complexities, and drama all their own. As you keep moving forward toward the next journey in your career, I wish you continued success – on both a professional and personal level!
Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone involved with bringing REVENGE to the small screen for the past four years. While I don’t presume to “speak” for the entire fandom, I think it’s safe to say that we’ll support all the projects that this REVENGE team pursues in the future. Whether Agent 13 joins her S.H.I.E.L.D counterparts or a Hamptonite conquers the Broadway stage, you better believe the Revengers will assemble!